Friday, May 8, 2015

A mother in recovery

In honor of Mother's Day, we are sharing Samantha's story. Samantha is in treatment with her two young children at our Family Center of Excellence

When Samantha entered Odyssey House mere days after giving birth to her second child, she was looking for a second chance – to be a better mother, to secure a brighter future, to achieve a sustainable recovery. 

A few years earlier, Samantha had spent 13 months in another treatment program for opiate addiction. She was clean for four years before relapsing. “I didn’t have the right attitude the first time around. I didn’t think I needed to be there.” But now, as a mother of two young children, ages eight months and three years, recovery took on a whole new significance. 

“It’s not just about me anymore. I’m committed to recovery in a way I wasn’t before – I’m far more open-minded and receptive to treatment. If I don’t stay clean, I’ll lose everything and I’m not going to let that happen. I have two lives depending on me.” 

Though the process has been overwhelming at times, being in treatment with her children has kept Samantha motivated. “The nursery has been incredibly helpful, and the parenting groups are amazing. I’ve learned healthy coping skills, appropriate discipline techniques, and patience.” 

As Samantha nears the end of her treatment at Odyssey House, she has been preparing for the future – training to become a home health aide and seeking assistance with housing. “When I leave here, it’ll be the first time having a place of my own. I can’t wait to have a fresh start, and to demonstrate to my kids why it’s important to put your best foot forward and do the right thing.”

In the Odyssey House Family Center of Excellence, mothers learn how to break the cycle of substance abuse and create a nurturing home for their children. Mothers and their young children live together in bright, comfortable quarters as part of a community that is safe, supportive and enjoyable. Click here for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment